Monday, December 17, 2012

Sadness

I am still in a deep state of sorrow. Yesterday people starting posting pictures and names and birthdays of the victims in the CT school shooting. I didn't watch the news all weekend because I didn't want to applaud the media for their piss-poor (albeit expected) coverage of the tragedy. Last night I saw the pictures and birthdays, and I lost it all over again. These are babies! These were children in the same grade as Bug. There was a little girl who was born just 3 days after Bug was. I just cannot wrap my head around it. There are no words that describe the horror of this event. Nothing can soothe the parents who lost their children, and yet it seems like people are so narrow-minded that they are actually able to make this whole situation worse. News crews were interviewing children at the scene, as if living through it wasn't traumatic enough, they decided having them retell it within minutes of being reunited with their parents was somehow appropriate. I saw a picture of a woman on her cell phone in absolute hysterics. This was a woman who just found out that her 1st grader, her BABY, never came out of that school. She has presents sitting underneath a Christmas tree that will never be opened. She lost her baby that day, and the media feels that it is appropriate to splatter that moment of hers across the internet and the airwaves? This is unacceptable. This is why I avoided the news this weekend. These are people, fellow human beings, who would give anything in the world to be holding the sweet innocent child safe and sound, like the rest of us were able to do. We should not be exploiting them or condoning those who do. We should be offering our support and letting them grieve however they deem necessary. We shouldn't be using their sorrow to further our own agendas.  My heart is so heavy today. I only wish there was something I could do to ease the pain. But I know that I can't, so instead, I will stay out of their way and let grieving parents be.