Friday, June 5, 2009

If You Don't Have Anything Intelligent to Say, SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Whew! That feels good! Maybe I am just pregnant, or maybe I am stressed having been a single mom for the last 2 weeks while my husband gallivants around Central America (Ok, so he is in Panama working and probably not enjoying himself, but still), but I am in a foul mood! Even my "Foul Mood Monday" play list didn't help! Maybe because it is Friday and not Monday. Anyway. I hate everyone today.

In reality, this whole week has been a bust. For some reason I am still amazed at the idiotic things that come out of people's mouths. I was at a wedding reception/BBQ this last Sunday. Really casual, good food, just enjoying myself. Then in an instant that all changed. My dad introduced me to some woman (I neither know nor do I care who she was at this point) who asks how far along I am. I tell her I am almost 28 weeks, just starting the 3rd trimester. She looks at me and says, "Wow, you are barely even showing! You're going to have a tiny little baby!". Bitch, have you ever seen a pregnant lady? I have gained 25 lbs and you are telling me I barely look pregnant? I'm so glad that I just look 25 lbs fatter but I have no good excuse like growing a baby. It's a good thing that I had my sun glasses on because the look in my eyes said, "Are you fucking kidding me?". I gave a short, and obviously rude, chuckle and said, "Actually, I am bigger now than I was at this point with my first son, and he was over 9 lbs. My doctor is pretty sure that this baby will be even bigger, so..." Looks like you are wrong old lady.

Things only got worse from there. I've known for a very long time that I have no patience for stupid people, but it seems as though all of those people have come out of the woodwork this week. Naturally, whenever there is any kind of uproar in Washington people come out, guns blazing, with their political opinions and personal agendas. This week has been quite a clusterfuck of uproar, the most obvious being the possible Supreme Court appointment of Sonia Sotomayor. I read a lot of articles and blogs and postings on this subject daily, and from what I can tell, no one has a fucking clue what the whole thing is about. She shouldn't be elected just because she is a Latina woman and that particular group of people should have "representation". The Supreme Court is not about having representation for all different groups of people. The Supreme Court is about upholding the law and making rulings based on our constitution, not on one's personal opinion or agenda. Not to mention the fact that you and I and every Joe-Voter across the nation can argue until we are blue in the face that we do or do not want her to be appointed, but it won't make a bit of difference. We don't vote on Supreme Court Justices. It is up to the members of Congress to decide whether or not she is the right person, and we all know that Congress always makes such brilliant and unbiased decisions that we needn't waste time worrying (I am hoping you all caught on to my obvious sarcasm there). What is worse is that the people who are constantly opening their fat mouths on the whole issue are so clearly uneducated that is gives me a headache to even read what they have to say. It seems as though Sotomayor feels she is superior to white people (or white males at least) and I have seen countless amounts of people call her a "reverse racist" because of that. What the fuck does that even mean? So she is reversing racism? She is the opposite of racist? Which would make her against all racism? Which in turn would make her not a racist? If you are going to be accusing people of things you'd better get you shit straight. She is a racist, a regular old racist just like anybody else. I'm not saying that I whole heartedly agree that she is a racist. I think she made one very racist comment in a speech and we can't judge her based on one speech. I don't like her, and I don't particularly want her appointed to the Supreme Court because I don't see a very strong history of her upholding the law based on the constitution and not her personal experiences, but as I mentioned before, I really get no say in it so I am not wasting my time arguing about whether or not she is "Justice Material".

The other big political agenda is that of abortion rights. With the murder of Dr. Tiller last Sunday the talk of abortion rights has come into full swing. Again. What the staunch anti-choicers are failing to realize (as usual) is that killing the doctor doesn't solve the problem. Didn't your mother ever teach you that 2 wrongs don't make a right? Probably not because she was too busy cramming the New Testament down your throat. I know this because I started my life in a similar manner, but someone around sophomore year in high school I purged the New Testament and learned to think for myself. People keep arguing about how Dr. Tiller aborted fetuses in the 3rd trimester. Wrong! He provided late term abortions, which is anything after 21 weeks, which is still very much in the 2nd trimester. It isn't like a woman could walk into his office at 36 weeks pregnant and say, "So I think I've changed my mind and I don't actually want this baby". Women would go to see him after they found out that there was something wrong with the fetus. Maybe ultrasounds detected spina bifida, or downs syndrome, or something else very serious. The ultrasound to detect such problems is at 20 weeks. Most women and their families would take more than a week to decide what they wanted to do. It isn't like anyone goes into a pregnancy knowing what they are going to do should they find out something is wrong 5 months into the pregnancy. So they have to turn to a doctor who can provide them the help they need even though it is past the 21 week mark. For those who decide they don't want to bring a child into the world who won't be able to enjoy their life, they can choose to terminate the pregnancy. For those who decide they just cannot terminate the pregnancy, they can choose to continue on. It's the whole point of CHOICE. The people who comment on articles written about Dr. Tiller and abortion are, again, so clearly uneducated. Anyone who calls this Dr.'s murder justified is among the greatest hypocrites of the world. Anyone who thinks that Dr. Tiller was providing women with abortions at a point in the pregnancy where the fetus could survive outside of the womb for no good reason is just a moron. Anyone who assumes that because I am pro-choice I clearly have no morals is ignorant.

I am just so sick and tired of hearing what everyone has to say (and yes, I can see the irony in blogging about what I have to say). There are people who think about what they are going to say before they do so, and even research their topic before they begin to speak. I don't mind listening to those people. But the people who get all of their information from Google and Facebook and what they overheard someone saying at Starbucks shouldn't be allowed to spew their opinions on every website they come across. Educate yourself on a subject before opening your mouth. As for the lady at the BBQ and those like her, think about what you are saying before you go and insult the people you are speaking to. You are only making yourself look like an idiot by making such absurd comments.

Wow. I feel LOTS better now. Maybe now my "Foul Mood Monday" play list will make me feel better. However, I don't think my coworkers will appreciate the spice girls as much as I do :)

3 comments:

PointMaker said...

You go girl!!! Ever think about running for office?

Unknown said...

haha! Not really. I don't like people enough :) And I am way to honest to be a politician!

Chelsea C said...

I cannot agree with you more on just about everything you said in this post!!! ESPECIALLY the part about uneducated, ignorant people spewing their opinions in every direction. It drives me NUTS.