Thursday, January 27, 2011

Somebody Needs to Start Giving a Shit About Education

We get a letter yesterday informing us that Bug had been accepted to the Advanced Kindergarten Program in our school district. We have been waiting on pins and needles to get that letter and we are so proud that he made it. We knew he would, of course, because we know he is brilliant. And he didn't just make the program, he scored a 91/99 - we clearly aren't the only people who think he is brilliant. Here is the problem; he didn't get into the school we chose (which happens to be the only school in the district that is even decent) so we have to pick a different school that has the program. Well, as it turns out, there are only a handful with openings and there is no way in fucking hell I am sending my child to one of these "schools". How does DPS get away with such awful schools? There are only 2 schools in the district that have ever performed well on the tests, one is in the wealthiest neighborhoods in all of Colorado which we do not live in. The other is the school we wanted Bug to get into. This school is specifically for Gifted and Talented students and sits in a somewhat sketchy area of town, but it is right near my office and it's a great school. Well we don't live in that neighborhood either, because, well, we have jobs and don't live off welfare. So since we are neither billionaires or degenerates our children's choices for schools range from "no way in hell" to "we might as well just move". Where are the schools for average families? Why don't my kids deserve an education? I'm taxed just as much yet I have no control over the fact that my kids get looked over for every option. I am absolutely sick over this. Why don't my kids deserve a proper education? Why does a city with over 100 schools only have 2 that even remotely acceptable? Why the fuck doesn't anyone care about educating the future of this country??? I shouldn't have to move to get my kids into a decent school district.

You want to know why other countries are out performing us Mr. Obama? Because they give a shit about their kids. They don't waste BILLIONS of dollars bailing out banks who failed because they didn't know how to run a damn business. Those countries don't waste billions of dollars more caring for and protecting people who aren't even citizens of their country. If you want this country to be the best, then make it the best. Quit talking about it and making promises that you never intend to follow through on. Fucking do something. You can't allow 97% of the schools in one district to fail their tests every year and not hold someone accountable. One school in our district has fired more than half of its teachers and is hiring members of the community who want to be teachers, and will give them on the job training. Are you kidding me? This is where the future of education is heading? It's unacceptable, and I am sick of sitting around letting some uneducated little bitch at the school district answer my emails (because she doesn't know how to answer her phone) with 2 word sentences. I want my kids to succeed and I don't want to know any mom that doesn't feel the same way. I don't have 10 years to wait for a change, I have 8 months. 8 months until I send my oldest child off to school to hopefully learn something and not forget everything he already knows. I hope you are listening Washington, because if there are no improvements come August, you can take that last little shred of support I have for you and shove it up your ass.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Hey Annie. I don't know what part of town you live or work in, but I work with schools all over the area in Jeffco, Littleton, Douglas County and Cherry Creek so let me know if I can do anything to help or answer any questions. Don't know how much help I can be, but I understand how frustrated you are. My kids teachers tell me every year that they wish all of their parents were as involved in their kids education as Mike and I are.

avgordsuprgddss said...

Stopped by from the Lady Bloggers Tea Party.... Look forward to reading what you have to say.

http://www.avgordsuprgddss.com