Wednesday, October 28, 2009

This Bed Is Not Big Enough For The 4 Of Us

We made the mistake of letting our oldest sleep in our bed with us for the last year and a half (it’s probably been longer than that, but I don't want to admit it). We aren't one of those weird "bed sharing" families. We didn't allow this because it was such a good way for our family to bond or because we just can’t stand to be away from him for a minute. No, we are just lazy. When he wanders into our room at 2:00 in the morning what we should do is walk him back to his room and put him back in his bed, but at 2:00 in the morning Charming Husband and I are both 99% sound asleep so instead we let the boy up into our bed.

Now there is one more body in our bed. Granted he is a very small body (about 12.5 lbs these days) but those small ones take up all the room! He has to have enough distance from the side of the bed so he doesn’t fall off but be far enough from me that I don’t roll over on him. The little one started out in his own bed last night and since he is only 2 months old he still wakes up once a night to eat. Well last night he woke up 2 hours earlier than usual, so I hadn't quite gotten the sleep that I needed. He apparently had gotten more than enough sleep and wanted to hang out and smile at me (who wouldn't really?). Don't get me wrong, I LOVE when he does that, but at 2:00 in the afternoon, not 2:00 in the morning. So I decided to just bring him into my bed so that he could lay around and be awake and I could lay around and go back to sleep. This worked, for an hour or so. The little one eventually fell asleep, but the bigger one might as well have been awake. Between him and Charming Husband you would think we were at the dinner table talking about our days. Full conversations before dawn. And if you think it's hard to understand what a 3 year old is saying normally, try understanding what he is saying in his sleep. Something about tigers but I didn't catch the whole thing. Charming husband yelled at me for something but I don't know or care what it was. After that, the bigger one figured he just didn't have enough room for all of his 3 feet, so he threw his leg up and over me. Because obviously I have too much room.

Somehow I managed to get enough sleep to be able to get out of bed this morning, but really, this must stop. I need my space! I need my sleep! And I need to be alone with my husband! Seriously, if anyone thinks there is ever going to be a baby # 3 then there needs to be some big time sleeping arrangement changes. Also, unless I want to introduce my boys to "crazy, tired, angry Mama" I need to sleep every night. I'm really not ready for them to meet her. They are too young to be that traumatized. One day. One day I will wake up and the only boy in my bed will be my husband. Wait, he snores. One day I will wake up on vacation ALL ALONE in a hotel bed. And then I will actually wake up and be in my bed, with my 3 wonderful boys.

No comments: